Columbus Charter School is a free, public school open to all children in the State of North Carolina. No fees or tuition are ever charged for admission.
CCS School Features
- Tuition-free, open enrollment, K-8 public school.
- Scenic, 142-acre campus in Columbus County, just five minutes from downtown Whiteville.
- Outperformed neighboring school districts’ End-of-Grade test averages by a range of 4-17 percentage points in the most recently published NCDPI reports.
- Frequently the county’s top scorer in state EOG tests.
- Diverse student population, including 15% special needs students, 20.6% non-white students, and 42.4% low economically disadvantaged students.
- Has received the NC Department of Labor’s Gold Safety Award for the past three years.
- Uses research-based, proven Direct Instruction teaching method.
- Proven, rigorous Classical curriculum.
- Offers Latin, Cursive, Composition, Public Speaking, Debate, and Drama components.
- Intensive new-hire training.
- Continuous in-service monitoring to evaluate and optimize instruction.
- Accelerated learning program reviews individual student performance data to promote qualifying students to advanced studies on a subject -by-subject basis.
- Prioritizes the use of positive reinforcement in teaching and classroom management.
- Student uniforms and professional teacher dress requirements.
- On-site educational before and after school care program.
- Varied extracurricular activities.
- Year-round schedule provides quarterly, three-week breaks for students.
- Regular parent surveys conducted.
- Annual, third-party financial audits conducted.